Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Dating Missed Connections

Dating Missed Connections Image
On the face of it Craigslist "Missed Connections" seem like a really good idea and I'll admit to a passing fascination with reading them. But if you think about the darker side of missed connections, it's actually just a dating tool for wimps. It's the adult equivalent of middle-school dating where you ask your friend to ask his friend if he likes you.

Every human being on this planet fears rejection and has a certain amount of shyness. But SO WHAT if they shoot you down? Life is full of rejection - jobs, friends, credit cards. So someone ignores you and you feel like a dummy. But I feel like a complete idiot on a regular basis and it hasn't ruined my life yet. In fact, I'm basically awesome all the time.

What's not acceptable is when you so much fear just TALKING to another person to the point that you later obsess about the interaction enough to actually post on an online forum about it.

I get to say this because I actually was the recipient of a missed connection about a month after I moved to DC. I had gone to the still-cool Tapatini's and started talking to a cute guy who could have been my brother (I love looking in mirrors, so I'm attracted to people who look like me). Having taken advantage of the gratuitous martini special, I went to the bathroom and when I came back he was gone. I chalked it up to "not interested" and left a few minutes later to go to dinner with my friends.

Monday morning, a friend of mine forwarded me a missed connection that was definitely me. So I e-mailed the guy back, and we went out for two months. Unfortunately in the end he was exactly what a missed connection poster is: a whiny titty baby.

Labels: neighbors have fun  guy interested take  sometimes happens get  tragic victim arranged  psychology back dont  women valentines day  hate stupid cruel  

0 comments:

Post a Comment