Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Greetings From California

Greetings From California
I've arrived! Without my luggage, but I'm here!

It's sunny, 34c but not overly hot. As a first time visitor to this part of the USA, I was looking forward to getting to my hotel, having a shower and getting to bed after nearly a 20 hour journey. So there I was, waiting at the John Wayne International Airport luggage carousel for my suitcase...and I waited, and waited...

After a long 25 minutes, I went to the American Airlines office and asked about my suitcase. The lady had just finished dealing with a couple of very irate passengers off the same flight as me. She was frustrated, and 'nearly' rude to me. As a NLP'er, how could I get what I wanted - my suitcase - with the minimum of fuss? I started by showing empathy for her situation and that caught her off guard - after all, it was MY suitcase that was lost and I had a right to be angry!

I continued by using a soft, friendly voice tone to enquire about my suitcase. Apparently, it had missed the connection from Dallas, Fort Worth and was still there. I explained my situation and then asked how she'd feel if she was thousands of miles from home and had lost her suitcase which contained everything that was necessary. By putting her in my situation and having shown her empathy earlier, she now responded in kind and set about trying to rectify the situation. The outcome was that she managed to get my suitcase on a later flight that night. Not only that, but she also arranged for the suitcase to be delivered to my hotel. Ordeal over? Not yet...

Having sorted the suitcase issue, I went to the hire car counter to pick up my pre-booked car. Surely, there would be no problem here: the car wasn't being flown in from anywhere! I got to the counter and it was unmanned! Because my flight had been delayed (due to bad weather), and then with the delay due to the issue with the suitcase, the counter clerk had stopped waiting and gone! With some help from the Airport staff, we found the clerk - and she wasn't happy. I found common ground with her, matched her physiology and led her to a calmer state so I got my car with no further problems.

What's the lesson here? Had I not been an NLP'er, with the fact that I was tired, had not received my luggage, I would have every right to be angry. My training in NLP helped me, however, to approach the situation in a controlled manner and achieved the outcome that I wanted. Had I shouted, been rude or disrespectful, would that have been possible?

The power of NLP and Emotional Intelligence...to gain access to the tools and techniques of NLP, visit the website and book now! Courses in London, Birmingham and Glasgow coming up in the next few months, Insha'Allah.

See you there!



Origin: pua-celebrities.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment