Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Debut Author Only The Brave Try Ballet By Stefanie London

Debut Author Only The Brave Try Ballet By Stefanie London
1. HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOU TO SELL YOUR FIRST BOOK? Only the Brave Try Ballet is not only my first published book but it's also the first book I've ever written - and for that it will always have a special place in my heart. From the time I submitted it in May 2013, until I got the call in December 2013, it was 7 months (including three rounds of revisions!). Talk about a whirlwind experience for a writing newbie!

2. WHEN DID YOU KNOW YOU WANTED TO BE A WRITER? Since I was old enough to understand that people created books. I used to write and illustrate my own stories as a young girl and I was always making up imaginary places to explore with my little sister. I shied away from trying to write seriously for a very long time because I didn't have much confidence in my ability, but I couldn't let go of my dream. The first time I really had a go at writing seriously was during NaNoWriMo in November 2012. That's when my first book came to life and I haven't looked back.

3. What inspired your book? I studied ballet for over ten years as a girl but I never made it to pointe shoes (bad ankles, bad feet, bad everything else). I've always been fascinated by professional ballerinas because of their intense focus and discipline, not to mention the sacrifices they make for their career. I wanted to explore what would happen if a person who'd dedicated their whole life to something was no longer able to do it. A few years back I'd also read an article on football players in the US studying ballet to help with flexibility and injury prevention. Those two ideas ended up merging to form the basis of my first book.

4. What did you learn after becoming published that you wish you'd known beforehand? That you don't have to please everyone. It sounds so silly, but I think aspiring authors sometimes feel like editors are these big, bad gatekeepers. They're not. They're people with likes and dislikes, I think many of them genuinely get a buzz out of helping authors achieve their dreams. But the flipside is that publishing is subjective because what one editor likes, another dislikes. The human element can be forgotten, but I find it comforting because I know that someone out there will enjoy my book even if another person doesn't - that goes for agents, editors and readers.

5. WHAT IS THE BEST PIECE OF WRITING ADVICE YOU'VE EVER RECEIVED? There are honestly so many pieces of advice that have helped me! I think consistency with writing and reading is what helps me most from a practical standpoint, I write best when I do it often. Frequent reading also inspires me, it gets me excited to write and I definitely struggle after a long break away from either writing or reading.

6. If you could have dinner with anyone, who would it be? My grandfather. He passed away around the time I finished my first draft of ONLY THE BRAVE TRY BALLET and I miss him so much. He was always a huge supporter (in his tough-love Italian way) and I would love to be able to share one last meal with him (and to show him my book!)

7. WHAT ARE YOU READING NOW? I'm reading a Jill Shalvis book (At Last) because my critique partner is constantly raving about her work, so I had to try it for myself. I'm thoroughly enjoying it! I've also been saving up the Harlequin Presents Chatsfield continuity books so I can marathon them, I'm especially looking forward to Annie West's contribution because I adore her books.

ABOUT THE BOOK:


Step up, Grant Farleynot your typical ballet student!

Football pro Grant Farley is nursing an injury and needs to get back into shape--fast. Ballet wouldn't be his first or even his last choice, but he's desperate. Enter tantalizingly prim teacher Jasmine Bell--one disapproving arch of her eyebrow and Grant knows he'll enjoy getting her tutu in a flutter!

But it's not only Grant's flexibility that Jasmine's pushing to the limit! He knows she feels the heat between them, so why won't she give in to it? Time to convince Jasmine that if she's brave enough to dance en pointe she can certainly handle a fling with him!

Attached Thumbnails


0 comments:

Post a Comment