Pages

Monday, October 27, 2008

In My Mailbox 30 Pirates In An Adventure With Scientists Bood Blound Jodi Picoult And More

Good morning! I hope you've had a wonderful week - it's been horrible weather here in soggy old Yorkshire, which means I've been bundled up in my huge yellow coat looking rather like Rhubarb and Custard. A word of advice - think about the colour of your winter coat "before "dyeing your hair a stupid colour.Anyway, I've had a brilliant week thanks to various financial problems being resolved and I've also had an excellent book week. Although what week "isn't "an excellent book week really?So. Three of the four books in the photo at the top were library reserves - "The Pirates! in an Adventure with Scientists, Girl in Hyacinth Blue "and "A Dangerous Method. "The other one, "Blood Bound "by Rachel Vincent, I saw on the shelf and grabbed because I've never read a book of hers I haven't loved."I've actually already read Pirates!.... Scientists "and my God, I "loved "it. Read my review here, although be prepared for a lot of raving. It's a teeny tiny book and I can't wait to read the others in the series. "A Dangerous Method",however, is most definitely "not "a teeny tiny book. I'm not sure if you can see in the top image, but that book is "huge. "Worse, when you open it, the pages are full of the most minescule text you can possibly imagine. It's a shame because I do want to read it (movie cover aside) but it does put me off a little. I'll just have to wait until I'm feeling ambitious!"Girl in Hyacinth Blue "by Susan Vreeland is supposed by the tale of a painting as it's traced back through its many owners. It's very "Girl with a Pearl Earring"-y as I can imagine it has the same style and it's actually about a different Vermeer painting, although a fictional one.I have to admit that "Blood Bound "doesn't appeal to me as much as Rachel Vincent's other series - like the "Shifters "series (staring with "Stray) "or "Soul Screamers (My Soul to Take). "But still, like I said above - I've never read a book of hers I didn't like, so I'm more than willing to give this one a go!I love these Penguin clothbound classics - I'm slowly trying to collect them, although they're quite expensive so I haven't got many. I'm only buying the ones I like though, so I just couldn't resist buying "A Christmas Carol "this week. You know what's strange though - of the four books I've bought so far, I've ended up buying them in exact alphabetical order! Austen, Bronte, Carroll, Dickens... shame I can't think of a classical author beginning with E!I have a bit of a strange relationship with Jodi Picoult - I either adore her books beyond all reason like "My Sister's Keeper "or "Handle with Care, "or I can barely finish them like "Change of Heart "or "The Pact. "I think I just like the medical/legal books so much more. Now though, thanks to a quick wander through the charity shops yesterday, I now own every single Jodi Picoult book that I actually want to read. Judging by the size of my TBR pile, it'll be ages before I even "think "about reading them, but that's hardly the point now is it? :)What did you get in your mailbox this week?

0 comments:

Post a Comment