Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Editor P And Q With Allison Carroll

Editor P And Q With Allison Carroll
WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE PART OF BEING AN EDITOR? A: One of the most important parts of the job--helping the author communicate with her audience--is also the most rewarding. It's extremely satisfying when a suggestion or a question I have about a manuscript sets off a train reaction in the author's mind, knocking down obstacles and unlocking all sorts of doors in the story. I really feel I've earned my keep that day. WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST SUBMISSION PET PEEVE?A: For all the DOs and DON'Ts of submitting, there are few I won't forgive. But since we're talking pet peeves, I will admit that too much personal information in a cover letter irks me. While sharing your personal interest in and knowledge of a particular subgenre or imprint is great or speaking to your RWA membership or other personal activities/credential is a nice addition to a cover letter, sharing a personal tale of woe is a sure way to turn me off. Playing the pity-card often makes me lose confidence in what I'm about to read because it appears the author doesn't have confidence in her work to stand on its own. Pitch me you characters, your plot, your story--not your sob story.WHAT DOES YOUR TYPICAL DAY LOOK LIKE? A: I'm not sure there is a typical day on the job. There's e-mail, reading, editing, meetings and more e-mail, but depending on the project, you never know just what surprises await you. The best days are when there are no fires to put out in the in-box, an author hits it out of the park with her revisions, and you find a submission you can get excited about. Oh, and when someone brings treat to the meetings.WHAT'S THE MOST RECENT BOOK YOU'VE READ FOR PLEASURE? A: I just devoured Heart of Obsidian by Nalini Singh. In a word, delicious. Her world building is wonderfully immersive and she's a brilliant strategist. And, it goes without saying, she knows how to pull on the ol' heartstrings. I'm anxiously awaiting the reveal of the next hero and heroine in her Psy/Changeling series.DO YOU HAVE ANY HOBBIES? A: Yes and her name is Begonia Brekhan, the half-orc princess. Every couple of weeks I gather around the table with my fellow adventurers for what can only be described as often hilarious, sometimes epic D&D sessions (Dungeons and Dragons for those of you who sit at the cool kid's table). WHAT TYPE OF CHARACTER/PLOT ARE YOU DYING TO SEE? A: I can get on board with almost any plot if I care about the characters. I love great rapport between the hero and heroine. Inside jokes, flirtatious teasing, and quick wit will get me every time. If the dialogue is not moving the plot forward, it should be rich with chemistry, strengthening the growing emotional bond between the two. Attached Thumbnails

0 comments:

Post a Comment